Wednesday, January 8, 2014


Dear Fam,

“The Lord has promised good to me.
 His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.”


Sitting in worship Sunday – feeling overwhelmed by all the challenges of 2014 – this verse of "Amazing Grace" was sung (magnificently by Gabby Perrone, I might add) and it pierced me.  I want it to be tattooed on my mind and heart as I wade into this New Year.

• Before jumping ahead to 2014 – a few last words on the end of 2013.  The choral and orchestral concert, “Christmas at Seven Rivers,” was masterful – loved the artwork on the screens which made it a visual as well as auditory feast!  The church was breathtakingly beautiful on Christmas Eve.  The Christmas Eve attendance was robust, the 5:00 p.m. service was probably the most people ever in our sanctuary and Adam Jones preached his socks off!  The high point of the service may have been the video story of our own Dean Smith.  Special plaudits, too, to Marty Cates who preached his first SRPC sermon on December 28/29 and hit it out of the park.  Marty even showed off by completing his message in just 24 minutes (which I loved because it embarrassed the insufferably long-winded Adam and Brandon!!)  Kudos also to our security team.  At the final service on Christmas Eve, a very disturbed young man came in and sat on the front row/center aisle and proceeded to jabber loudly and gesticulate ominously throughout the service.  Staff and security saw the potential danger and moved to sit in close proximity to him should he cause any trouble or attempt to disrupt the service even more overtly.  Thankfully, this troubled fellow left without incident near the end of the service.  I was so proud of our team and how promptly and judiciously they handled a difficult situation.  In every way, 2013 ended on a high note!

• The New Year kicks off this weekend at SRPC with:

>> A new sermon series entitled, Red Letter Words – The Teaching Ministry of Jesus.  This winter we’ll be studying Matthew 11-14 which is primarily composed of instruction from Jesus.  Needless to say, the world had never heard anyone teach like this and His words still have the power to transfix and transform today

>> Boxed chicken dinners after worship

>> Signing the floors in our new preschool on Saturday from 5:00-5:50 p.m. or Sunday after the service folks can go onto the preschool site and write a favorite Bible  verse reference, the names of your children or grandchildren (whether they attend SRCS or not), or simply an expression of praise and gratitude to our God.  This is a very personal, pre-dedication of the building for holy use, for the salvation of many children and their families!

>> Opportunities to sign up for the upcoming Pastor’s Class, Small Groups and educational classes.

• Sadly, the New Year began with profound grief.  Geoff Greene, a member of SRPC, and the Citrus County Tax Assessor took his own life on Sunday afternoon.  I loved Geoff, as did so many in our community.  He was always a delight.  Please pray for Sheila as she grieves the loss of her husband of 35 years.  Let me add one other thought – please, please, please if you find yourself being crushed by depression or despair ask for help.  We are all broken and desperately in need of the help of one another.

• Just before Christmas I got this very encouraging letter:


Dearest Pastors,

I just wanted to take a minute to tell you both how grateful I am for you, for your precious families and for this church. My very first time visiting SRPC was exactly 10 years ago, Christmas of 2003...your very first time opening the doors to what we now call our Home.  I don't remember much about that sermon (sorry Ray) but I do remember feeling small and out of place in such a large building, not knowing anyone except my fiancé and his family.  Having grown up in a small "home church fellowship", SRPC (upon first impression to an immature, self centered young woman) seemed 'too big' to have any "soul"...I could not have been more wrong! This place, these people, this community of Grace-covered sinners has taught me everything about Who Jesus is, what He did for me and what Joyful Purpose I get to have now.

Barbara Gregory has taught me what being a servant of Jesus looks like.
Nancy Glessner has taught me what unconditional love looks like.
Dana James has taught me what humble leadership looks like.
Sam Jones has taught me what compassion looks like.
Dean Smith has taught me what friendship looks like.
Pastor Adam has taught me what humility looks like.
The Santanas have taught me what Faith looks like.
Dr. Wackes has taught me what joy looks like.
Jean Giles has taught me what trusting my Savior looks like.
   
Looking back over these last 10 years I see a transformation in this insecure, self seeking, critical heart of mine that I never would have thought possible.  There are no words for the gratitude that I feel for this church... for being the place where the coin dropped deep into my heart ...for being the place where I got Jesus.   

• God has been good to us at SRPC and I look forward to walking through the wonders and woes of 2014 with you guys!

Love,

Ray